DESIGN & PLANNING
As the established local oak framed barn specialist, Rookery Barns have designed and constructed over 900 bespoke oak buildings in the last 20 years. We will make a site visit and discuss your requirements before drawing up a tailored design and a detailed quotation. We do not charge for this service.
In most cases our buildings require planning approval. Drawing on our wealth of local experience and using an expert planning consultant, we can advise on and handle the entire planning application procedure on your behalf. This includes providing and submitting elevation and plan drawings for the building, preparing Ordnance Survey site plans, preparing comprehensive supporting statements and other relevant documentation, as well as proactively liaising with the Local Planning Authorities throughout the process. (See further details on Planning and Permitted Development below)
We are proud to record a success rate of over 90% for our planning applications and we attribute this to:
Years of Experience- we have hundreds of successful planning applications behind us
Locally Based- we have long-standing relationships with local planning authorities across Surrey, Hampshire and West Sussex and are aware of local conditions and regulations that may impact on planning decisions.
Thoughtful Design- our understanding of local constraints and planning experience are taken into account when we design our buildings and we work with our clients to achieve the best possible solutions for them.
We provide a comprehensive planning service which covers:
- Preparation of application forms and site visits to gather photographic support
- Commission of scaled elevation and plan drawings for proposed and existing buildings
- Supply and completion of relevant Ordnance Survey maps
- Supporting statement including Design and Access Statement and Heritage Statement if required
- Ecological Survey
- Arboricultural Impact Assessment
- Landscape Mitigation Strategy
- Discharge of Conditions
- Regular liaison with local authorities throughout the process, identifying and addressing any issues that may impact on the planning decision.
In certain circumstances Planning Permission is not required. This is known asPermitted Development.
All of the following criteria apply:
- The proposed building is sited behind the principal front elevation of the house but within your garden curtillage.
- It is sited at least 2 metres from a boundary.
- The ridge is under 4 metres high (with a pitched roof)
- It is only one storey.
- If your property is within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB), National Park, or Conservation Area the proposed structure will also need to be sited behind the house but entirely within 20 metres of it.
- If your house is listed you will need to seek Listed Building Consent for the development.
For written confirmation that the proposed development does represent Permitted Development, you will need to apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness. This is an almost identical procedure to a planning application butrequires a reducedLocal Authority fee.
Whilst many of our barns share similar features, we pride ourselves on our ability to adapt our buildings to suit our clients' individual requirements.
Please browse through the examples of more standard and bespoke barns in the OurCompleted Barnssection of the website. When you have found the type of building that is closest to your requirements, please contact our office to arrange a no obligation site visit..
"Thank you for all your help during the design, planning and construction of the building which made the whole experience for us so much easier."Bill and Sue, Surrey
Contact us at Rookery Barns Ltd, Hartley Wood Farm, Oakhanger, Hampshire, GU35 9JW. Tel 01420 488870. Emailinfo@rookerybarns.com